Take The Humbug Out Of Christmas With An Adventure Getaway
Swap the mince pies for activity highs this December with a range of last minute breaks with The Adventure Company.
BE REJUVINATED BY THE WINTER AIR
NEPAL: Himalayan Explorer (15 days from £1,669pp)
- For those who enjoy a moderate level of trekking but without the challenges of high altitudes, this 15-day adventure includes a gentle three-day trek in the Himalayan Foothills through terraced farmlands and spectacular vistas. When travellers are not exploring on foot, they will be journeying by elephant and by canoe searching for wildlife in Chitwan National Park. Within the shadows of the peaks, holiday-makers will delve into a world of culture discovering the best of Kathmandu and Pokhara.
- Departure: 17 December
- Price: From £1,669pp (incl. discount) including international & domestic flights, transport (elephant, canoe & minibus), accommodation (incl. 2 nights camping), most meals (13 breakfasts, 5 lunches & 6 dinners) and an experienced local leader.
SLOVAKIA: Tatras Winter Adventure (8 days from £1,129pp)
- The snow-clad mountains of the Tatras are the perfect base for an invigorating week of winter activities. This 8-day adventure is based in the mountain village of Zuberec with access to ski areas and a network of trails ideal for winter activities. Holiday-makers will spend time snowshoeing, skiing, dog-sledding and sledging before relaxing in a hot thermal pool.
- Departure: 26 December
- Price: From £1,129pp including flights, accommodation, activities (dog-sled, snowshoes, skis, snowboard & sledge), some meals (7 breakfasts, 2 lunches) and an experienced local group leader.
TANZANIA: Kilimanjaro Trek - Machame Route (10 days from £2,299pp)
- With scientists claiming that the ice caps are disappearing fast, now is as good a time as any to conquer Mount Kilimanjaro and, on the 26 December departure, trekkers can bring in the New Year filled with a sense of achievement as they reach the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro.
- The Machame route is not for the faint hearted and is arguably the most challenging option with longer and steeper day walks than other treks. But the extra efforts are rewarded on this 10-day trip with breath-taking views of Kibo Peak, the ice fields and Kili’s scree-covered dome created from the accumulation of broken rock fragments.
- Departure: ** Save £100pp on 26 December departure **
- Price: From £2,299pp (incl. £100pp discount) including flights, transport, accommodation (2 nights lodge & 5 nights camping), most meals (7 breakfasts, 6 lunches & 7 dinners), all park fees and an experienced local leader.
TANZANIA: Kilimanjaro Trek - Rongai Route (10 days from £2,279pp)
- This 10-day adventure will take trekkers to the top of the world for Christmas day as they summit the world’s tallest freestanding mountain. Travellers will enjoy a different perspective of Mount Kilimanjaro on this route as they approach from the northern side. With strictly regulated numbers, trekkers can get away from the crowds on their ascent and get the only view of the Masai lands with possible sightings of monkeys, buffalo and elephant. The tour then takes in one of the classic routes on the return journey.
- Departure: ** Save £100pp on 19 December departure **
- Price: From £2,279pp (incl. discount) including flights, transport, accommodation (2 nights lodge & 5 nights camping), most meals (7 breakfasts, 6 lunches & 7 dinners), all park fees and an experienced local leader.
SHORT BUT SWEET WITH WINTER HEAT
FAMILY EGYPT: Feluccas & Pharaohs (10 days from £1,339 adult / £1,219 child - min age 5yrs)
- With the Ancient Egyptians part of the key stage 2 syllabus, this 10-day holiday is an ideal chance for families with children aged five upwards to journey back in time on a classic Egyptian adventure. From sailing on a felucca along the Nile, riding a camel in the desert to snorkelling over coral reefs, this is a well-paced trip taking in this great value destination’s most awe-inspiring sights.
- On Christmas Day itself, families will be hopping aboard a calesh (horse-drawn carriage) to be transported to one of the grandest of Egypt’s temples, Karnak. Best of all, there’s no danger of being overlooked by Father Christmas as The Adventure Company has arranged for him to meet them at the Pyramids where he’ll give out presents to those that have been good this year.
- Departure: 19 December
- Price: From £1,339 adult / £1,219 child including flights (domestic and international), transport (train, minibus, felucca, horse-drawn carried, boat and camel), accommodation (7 nights hotel, 1 night train & 1 night felucca), most meals (8 breakfasts, 2 lunches & 5 dinners) and an experienced local leader.
JORDAN: Petra and Wadi Rum (9 days from £1,299pp)
- For centuries, the deserts of Arabia have held a special fascination to Westerners and this 9-day trip allows travellers to find out why. Enjoy the nature and landscapes of Dana Nature Reserve and see the Treasury, Monastery and amphitheatres on a visit to Petra. Heading out to Wadi Rum, holiday-makers will spend the night under the stars in a Bedouin-style camp before exploring further by 4WD. Bathing costumes are an essential as there is also a chance to float in the Dead Sea.
- Departure: 19 & 26 December
- Price: From £1,299pp including flights, transport, accommodation (incl. 1 night camping), some meals (8 breakfasts, 1 lunch & 2 dinners) and an experienced local leader.
MOROCCO: Atlas Adventure (8 days from £699pp)
- A great introduction to trekking in the Atlas Mountains, holiday-makers will enjoy the mountain scenery on breathtaking hikes without struggling with high altitudes and camping equipment. Travellers will make their way across passes up to an altitude of 2000m with spectacular views. Best of all, for an authentic insight into rural Morocco, they will stay in traditional Berber villages along the way.
- Departure: 22 & 26 December
- Price: From £699pp including flights, transport, accommodation (3 nights hotel & 4 nights gites), most meals (7 breakfasts, 5 lunches & 4 dinners) and an experienced local group leader.
FAMILY MOROCCO: Saharan Sands (8 days from £799pp - min age 6yrs)
- This 8-day trip offers families the chance to experience the wonderful contrasts of Morocco by getting away from it all in the Sahara desert, visiting the UNESCO site of Ait Benhaddou and ending the trip in bustling Marrakech. Highlights include camel trekking across the desert and the chance to camp out amongst the dunes in nomad tents (2 nights) and a Bedouin camp (1 night) where the group will be overwhelmed by the solitude and dazzled by the stars of the desert sky.
- Departure: 20 December
- Price: From £799pp including flights, accommodation (4 nights hotel & 3 nights camping), transport (minibus & camel), some meals (7 breakfasts, 2 lunches & 3 dinners) and an experienced local leader.
- NB: For teenagers who want something a bit more challenging, an 8-day Camels and Kasbahs departure is available on 26 December including rafting and mountain biking for children age 12+ from £999pp.
HEART WARMING LONGHAUL ADVENTURES
FAMILY COSTA RICA: Tropical Adventure (9 days from £1,949 adult / £1,899 child – min age 6yrs)
- Costa Rica’s warm climate, lush vegetation and abundant wildlife make it a paradise for families and wildlife enthusiasts. This new 9-day adventure takes in Costa Rica’s highlights as families go deep into the rainforest, witness the power of the earth beneath their feet at Arenal Volcano and relax on the beautiful Pacific beaches. Highlights of the trip include the option to head off horse-riding, relax in the hot springs or get adventurous on the Monteverde Skywalk - a system of hanging bridges to view a variety of habitats at different levels..
- Departure: 27 December
- Price: From £1,949 adult / £1,899 child including flights, accommodation, all breakfasts, transport and an experienced local group leader.
FAMILY INDIA: Tiger Trails & Taj Mahal (11 days from £1,619 adult / £1,429 child – min age 7yrs)
- Families can bring Jungle Book to life on Christmas Day as they head out on game drives through one of India’s premier national parks. With a mix of historical ruins and majestic wildlife, children will be able to let their imaginations run wild with the chance to spot tigers, antelope, crocodiles and jungle cats. This 11-day trip is a chance for all the family to discover the majesty of India as the family adventure takes travellers around the Golden Triangle.
- Departure: 17 & 21 December
- Price: From £1,619 adult / £1,429 child including flights, accommodation (7 nights hotel and 2 nights lodge), most meals (9 breakfasts, 2 lunches & 3 dinners), transport (train, rickshaw, taxi 4WD and minibus) and an experienced local leader.
FAMILY SRI LANKA: Elephant Paradise (16 days from £1,999 adult / £1,829 child – min age 7yrs)
- For incredible value, inspiring landscapes, teeming wildlife and cultural treasures this 15-day family holiday is hard to beat. The action-packed itinerary includes dolphin watching, canoeing on the Kelani River, an elephant-back safari through the dramatic hill-country, jungle treks, a visit to a turtle hatchery and the opportunity to help a fishing community haul in their catch at sunrise, all mixed in with beach relaxation.
- Departure: 17 December
- Price: From £1,999 adult / £1,829 child including flights, accommodation (12 nights hotel, 1 night basic rest-house and 1 nights jungle camp), 14 breakfasts, transport (train, boat, 4WD, canoe and elephant) and an experienced local group leader.
To find out more about The Adventure Company’s holidays call 0845 287 1198 or visit www.adventurecompany.co.uk
21 November 2011
For further information please contact:
Suzanne Seyghal, The Adventure Company PR Manager
Tel: 020 8971 2967 Mobile: 07944 168 697
Felicity Hay, The Adventure Company PR Assistant
Tel: 020 8971 0498
NOTE TO EDITORS:
About The Adventure Company
- Founded in 1996, The Adventure Company operates over 250 small group trips across all continents combining ‘must-see’ highlights with unforgettable cultural experiences.
- While itineraries are tailored to suit all ages, from those new to adventure to seasoned travellers, The Adventure Company is also the UK’s leading family adventure specialist with 113 holidays designed for travelling with kids. Trips vary from multi-activity holidays to exotic animal encounters, Hands On Adventures interacting with local community and environmental projects and teen adventures designed exclusively for families with children aged 12 upwards
- Its range allows holidaymakers to enjoy some of the world’s most iconic treks, spot wildlife on safari, get under the skin of local cultures, camp under the stars or try out new activities such as white-water rafting and dog-sledding, From Argentina to Zambia, all trips are led by local guides who provide an invaluable cultural insight.
Press Contact Details
If you are a member of the press and want further information, please contact Chloe using the details below.
Please note, this service is for members of the press only.
The Family Adventure Company
Cross & Pillory House
1 Cross & Pillory Lane
Tel: +44 (0)7769 256173